Landing a Successful Partnership
Law firms are looking for attorneys who can hit the ground running. The best legal recruiters can help guide you to identify law firms that are a good fit for your practice and lifestyle.
Things to consider prior to switching firm…
Define Your Value Proposition
- What is your mission?
- Who are your clients?
- Clearly communicate your abilities.
- What do you need to continue to develop your book of business?
(platform, practice niches, geographic locations, marketing etc.)
Identify with your recruiter firms that will support and grow your practice.
- First and foremost, when considering and being considered by a law firm, think about how compatible you are? Beyond revenue.
- Learn about the law firm’s culture, will you be happy here?
- How will your skills and niche further the goals of the firm? And vice versa.
- Develop a one-sheet — what you can bring to new law firm and why?
- Work closely with your legal recruiter to come up with creative solutions to securing the best offer from the law firm.
Understand the Needs of your Future Law Firm
Often times a law firm is looking for a specific skillset, a specialist who will complement their footing in that particular practice of law. It’s a two-way street, both you and the new law firm should benefit. The bottom line is how you are going make or save them money. It’s all about the ROI.
- How do you plan on making or saving money for the firm?
- Leverage your worth. Learn as much as you can about the interested firm — before and during the process.
- Understand how far a law firm is prepared to go to acquire your area of expertise.
- Focus on the value of the entire deal: responsibilities, location, travel, and flexibility in work hours, opportunities for partnership and perks.
Confessions of a Legal Recruiter: Final Thoughts
Rainmaking is all about building relationships, and lawyers should keep in mind that developing a solid network and book is never ending. Attorney’s need to strategically nurture business relationships:
- From inside their firm
- Past and current clients
- Personal and professional contacts
- And focus on an industry or geographic location
About: On Balance Search Consultants
On Balance offers great insight and industry intelligence. Shari Davidson, president of On Balance Search Consultants, advises experienced attorneys at every stage of their career to take them to the next level. From making the lateral partner move to succession planning.
Shari takes a proactive approach to advising law firms on how to take a firm to the next level and helps rising talent make the transition to the right law firm. On Balance Search identifies opportunities that exist today, not down the road.
Contact us today. Call 516.731.4300 or visit our website at https://www.onbalancesearch.com.
Please note that the content of this blog does not constitute legal advice and is only intended for the educational purpose of the reader. Please consult your legal counsel for specifics regarding your specific circumstances and the laws in your states pertaining to social media and any legal restrictions regarding the law.